Sunday, April 25, 2010

Final - Photos Presented

Montana Wildlife





















Elk
This photo was taken at Tower Junction in Yellowstone. There was a small herd of bulls, and I was trying to shoot them interacting, but my favorite photo was this one of an elk just gazing off.
Shutter: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped to portrait orientation, cloned out snow trails in the background sagebrush.






















Killdeer
This was taken along the Lamar River in Yellowstone. I had the shutter speed as high as I could despite the low light because the bird was moving so fast and so often. It finally stood still outlined against the snow and I got this shot. I really like the simplicity of just the killdeer and the river rocks.
Shutter: 1/1250
Aperture: f5.00
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: the snow was a very gray color, so I adjusted the levels until the snow was pure white, cropped to portrait orientation.












River Otter
This photo is cheating a little-It was taken at a zoo in North Dakota. It was still a very active otter though, and I had a lot of fun getting this head shot with the background blurred out.
Shutter:1/200 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 100
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped in so it was not centered, but more towards the right of the frame.






















Red-tailed Hawk
This was taken also taken in Yellowstone. I saw the hawk land and shift around in the tree. I got my camera out and focused on it, when it gave an alarm call and took off, somehow I managed to capture it at the moment of take off.
Shutter: 1/400 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO:80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: cropped to portrait orientation.














North American Porcupine
This picture was taken at the Nature Conservancy Ranch. She was a very cooperative porcupine, so we were able to get close and I was able to set up this shot where her head is at an angle and there are no tree branches blocking her face (which was surprisingly hard to do).
Shutter: 1/250 sec
Aperture:f5.60
ISO: 100
Focal: 42.50mm
Photoshop: none











Mountain Bluebird
This picture was taken along the Lamar River in Yellowstone, there were several bluebirds and chickadees darting over the side of the ice bank, so I got down the see what they were doing and got this shot of a male sitting on a rock. I liked the contrast of bird, rock, ice and water.
Shutter: 1/320 sec
Aperture:f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: none





















Lone Tree
This photo was taken near Forchett Bay near sunset. There is some sort of bird at the top of the tree, but I really just liked how the light silhouetted the entire tree. It was taken in color, but it looks black and white which I also like.
Shutter: 1/2000 sec
Aperture: f6.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped to portrait orientation.






















Desert Cottontail Rabbit
This photo was taken on the Nature Conservancy Ranch, it was hiding under some abandoned farm equipment and at first we thought it was a skunk, but when it darted out it was just a rabbit. It froze, and I took this picture when it turned its head just enough that I could see its eye.
Shutter: 1/500 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped to portrait orientation, removed some grass in the foreground.








Barrow's Goldeneye
This photo was also taken along the Lamar River. The flock let me get very close to them, and I took a lot of good shots, including some of their courting behavior. This one, however, was my favorite because of the background snow and ice.
Shutter: 1/800 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped up on the bottom and down on the top, straitened the horizon line.

















Coyote
This coyote was running along the road outside of Tower Junction in Yellowstone. I got some really good shots, but the road made it look pretty ugly. I waited until it finally jumped up into the sagebrush and took several shots, this was the only one with both the coyote in focus (the big snowflakes confused my autofocus) and his eye visible.
Shutter:1/500 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped in, changed levels to make snow pure white, removed sagebrush in top lefthand corner.







Canada Geese
This picture was again taken along the Lamar River. I was attempting to shoot chickadees, but startled this pair of geese and was able to get them both in flight and with thier mouths open!
Shutter: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: f5.00
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped up on the bottom and down on the top, brightened slightly.






















Bighorn Sheep
This picture was taken on Rescue Creek Trail in Yellowstone. A large group of rams were grazing along the trail, and two kept charging each other. As I was skirting them, they continued to charge, and this one looked up at where I was and I was able to get this candid shot of him.
Shutter:1/1250 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped to portrait orientation.













Mallard
This was taken at Josephine Lake in Riverfront park. It's not the most exciting bird, but I like the lighting and detail you can see in the plumage, and the slightly blurry water around his beak. I spent a while watching this flock and finally got a picture of this one with his bill in the water.
Shutter: 1/800 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photosohp: none












Pronghorn Antelope
This was taken near the Roosevelt Arch in Yellowstone. At first I was just trying to get a close shot of the antelope, but I zoomed back out in order to get the landscape and the the other two groups of antelope in the background.
Shutter: 1/640 sec
Aperture: f3.50
ISO: 100
Focal: 18.10mm
Photoshop: Increased contrast and saturation.





















Song Sparrow
This was taken at Norm's Island, and the bird was extremely hard to see, I only knew it was around because it was singing. I played for a while getting a non-cluttered backgound, and finally ended up just getting it to blur out.
Shutter: 1/640 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped to portrait orientation.












Common Raven
This was taken in Cinnabar Basin on the way out of Yellowstone. Two ravens were hopping around in this field, so I took several pictures and waited for one of them to glide: this was the result.
Shutter: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Increased contrast on raven's wings.





















Mule Deer
This deer was part of a herd of four, all of whom had gone up this hillside before her. I focused on her, and waited for her to follow her herd, and sure enough she bounded up the hill and I got this shot.
Shutter: 1/1000sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped to portrait orientation.





















Sharp-tailed Grouse
This was part of a sharptail lek we surprised at sunset on American Prairie Foundation land. There were eight or nine males displaying, and even though this one is not, I really liked the light on him and how it brough out the patterns in the plumage.
Shutter: 1/100 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 55.90mm
Photoshop: Cropped in and cropped to a portrait orientation.





Beaver
This was taken in Riverfront Park. The beaver was swimming in the shade for a few minutes before going into the sun, I liked this picture of it because of the blue reflections in the water, and how you can see its face and tail clearly.
Shutter: 1/640 sec
Aperture: f4.30
ISO: 80
Focal: 60.00mm
Photoshop: Cropped up on the bottom and down on the top.














Prairie Sunrise
This photo is cheating: there is no visible wildlife in it. It's just a beautiful sunrise on American Prairie Foundation land. We were up early to watch sage grouse leks, but this scene was to our backs. I used a fill flash to light up the first row of sagebrush.
Shutter: 1/250 sec
Aperture: f2.80
ISO: 100
Focal: 6.00mm
Flash: -2.00
Photoshop: none

No comments:

Post a Comment