Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Owl Saga

Sunday morning I got a call from my cross-country coach telling me that out on their run they had come across an owlet whose nest tree had blown down from all the wind lately. After a series of phone calls, FWP asked if I could go out and check on the chick and see if its parents had come back yet. Coach took me out there and this is what we saw:













It is a great horned owl chick and was pretty active, clicking its beak and hissing if we got too close. We waited with it for quiet a while, and saw no sign of parents. I called FWP back to see what the next step would be, and they said to take him home, try to feed him, and call on Monday when they would be able to do something for it.













I got some pinky mice to feed it, but at first it wasn't very interested. Around 8 pm though it perked up and started eating!


It was pretty quiet through the night, but did wake me up at 5 because it was hungry. We had fun before taking him back out with
FWP to the nest site to see if the parents will come back:








































































No comments:

Post a Comment